Thursday, May 14, 2009

First Solo Ride - Yeah Me!

I did my first bike ride alone last night. Apparently there's some big hockey thing going on that Brian was interested in watching (??), so I went on my own.

I did almost 8 kms and while I did not enjoy the bike riding part of it I did enjoy the peacefulness of it. Don't get me wrong, those hills are still killing me, but a little bit less each time and there were thousands of bugs to deal with too. Happy to report that I didn't eat any - although one flew into my eyeball.

All of that being said, there was something calming about biking through the streets of my neighbourhood. It's like I could see things I couldn't see before. I caught a glimpse of the person I used to be - the person before thyroid disease and cancer. I've only seen her twice in the past year and then only fleetingly. It was reassuring to know that she's still in there.

I'm beginning to think there might be something to this whole biking thing. I'm different now and I've struggled with finding the balance between old and new, but last night I saw the two merging. Could Brian be right - will I come to love biking? Who am I trying to kid? I hate biking, but maybe I'll hate it the way I hated running? Hmmmmm......I'll let you know when I figure it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment